Monday 17 March 2014

Weight Watchers is working!

I have been struggling with excess weight since I hit puberty. I have never really looked as heavy as I actually am (only the scale, and Jamie knows!) but according to my BMI I am obese. That is a stupid term. And, even when I have been thinner, I was fit and healthy, and bordering on this obese BMI - 50 pounds ago. I have been told by many people that BMI for me isn't helpful because I am short, and pretty muscular for a woman. But, seeing the obese BMI has been bothering me for a while.

With my struggles in the aftermath of a loss, I have put my physical health on hold to focus more on my emotional and mental health, and my PhD. It has been a stress. My body is not happy. I have irritable bowel syndrome, which has been flaring up again. I also have a pelvic pain disorder that I think is related to IBS, and that has been bad too. So I decided to do something about it... again. And hope it stays.

I never really think of myself as overweight. I am a fit girl trapped in this body, and pictures and mirrors make me anxious because I see myself in them and know that is not how I feel on the inside. So, we decided after some procrastinating to join Weight Watchers Online. We were not sure how the week would go because we went grocery shopping before signing up, and we had food in the house that needed to be eaten up. But, we both know what is healthy to eat and what really isn't, which may put us at a bit of an advantage. I taught nutrition to undergraduate students during my Master's, so even though I know what is good, I don't necessarily make the best choices.

This week was a bit tough because we tend to eat and snack when we are bored, especially on the weekends. But, we didn't. And, we did our morning weigh in and I am down 6.8 pounds and Jamie is down 5.8! Jamie doesn't have as long to go in his weight loss journey as I do, but I am glad he is doing it with me! I am hoping that this is a sign of what is to come :)

No comments:

Post a Comment